Total Pageviews

Wednesday 30 September 2009

History and Context of Journalism...or Philosophy?

Reading: Bertrand Russells' "A History Of Western Philosophy",

One thing I definitely learnt during this lecture is that I do NOT like Philosophy.
The reading and lecture both posed the question: just what does this have to do with Journalism? I am sure that the answer will become clear within the next few weeks, as I figured that it wouldn't be part of the course if it was not relevant to Journalism.

I really did not understand much of the lecture, or the reading, and so am currently researching other sources for simplified versions of the theorys discussed.
Many thanks to Charlotte Clarke for her simplified version of Plato's theory.
http://charlotteaclarke.blogspot.com/

One part I did find interesting about the reading was Chapter 4: More's Utopia.
Another interesting fact is that Francis Bacon died from a chill caught from stuffing a chicken with snow.
I am hoping that further reading and future lectures may help me understand this subject slightly better.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not really relevant to journalism, but it is a degree course so there has to be more to it than shorthand and police procedure. I like your style though in spotting that by far the most interestin' thing about Bacon was the way he died. I was personally disappointed that Brian didn't mention that the Pythagoreans wouldn't eat kidney beans because they belived them to be unborn babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. spotting the random interesting things makes the incomprehensible things more tolerable; at least we then understand bits of the whole :)

    ReplyDelete