Total Pageviews

Saturday 20 August 2011

Work Experience at the Bristol Evening Post-Part 2

So I was back at the Bristol Evening Post this week for more journalism experience!
I spent the first morning at Bristol Crown Court with a reporter, to cover a list of people being sentenced. These included a 24 year old who had been caught growing his own cannabis, a woman who had been wrongly paid £27,000 in wages by the NHS, and a man who bit off another mans nose in a bar fight.
After lunch I was sent out to do the daily vox pops (see previous blog entry) before being sent down to a graffiti event called "See No Evil".
The event involves over 75 street artists, who have been granted permission from the council to use one of Bristol's dullest streets as their canvas. Graffiti artists have travelled from all over the world to take part in the event, and I was sent to interview them.
One of the people I interviewed was BG183, who is a member of the Tats Cru, one off the most popular street artists in New York.
The interviewed was featured in the report in the next day's paper, and I was credited with a byline.

I got to the office the next day to be told I am now the "graffiti correspondent" for the Evening Post. I was sent back down to the event to ask members of the public what their opinion of the artwork was. I became quite involved in the event, talking to the artists and organisers, and was even invited to the finale party to celebrate the end of the event.

My interviews also made the next days edition of the paper, along with another byline.

I had a really good time at the Evening Post, and it has been very influential. I appreciate that as I have been there before, the editor sends me off on jobs on my own, rather than shadowing a reporter for the whole time I am there. I have learnt a lot, and improved my skills at talking to people and interviewing them. It has really helped build my confidence, and I am hoping that it will help me to secure a job when I leave University.

No comments:

Post a Comment