Total Pageviews

Monday 3 October 2011

WINOL Week 1

So WINOL is back, and it's not only the 2nd years who are finding their feet. With the introduction of both the radio station and the magazine, some of the team have been thrown into the unknown.
My role this semester is Radio editor. I work closely with the radio society on Sound Radio providing all the news content.
The aim is to produce hourly news bulletins, using the automated service IRN, and local news. However, this is not possible until the radio studio is completed. My other responsibility is to create a weekly extended news bulletin-a radio version of WINOL.

Although this week was only a dummy run for the 2nd years, I used the bulletin for the radio show. I re-edited the bulletin, removing the video, and cutting the audio into suitable interviews.
I re-wrote the script and timed all of the stories to get an outline of how long the bulletin would be.
It is important to have the correct timings in radio, so that there are no long silences on air. The radio society had told me that it didnt matter if I didn't fill the 10 minute slot, because they would have music ready to play as soon as the bulletin was over.

After I had re-edited the WINOL bulletin, and written a new script, I timed the show at 4.30 minutes. I knew that I would need more to fill the slot, and so went along to the Winchester City charity event that evening with Gareth. We got interviews with Southampton footballer Matt Le Tissier, which I felt would be a great name to have on the radio bulletin.

I spent the next day editing the new audio, and writing the script to go with it, as well as adding national stories from IRN, and checking to see if they had been updated throughout the day.

By the time I was due to go live, I had timed the bulletin at 8 minutes. I was nervous about using the equipment, but Alex and Thomas from the radio society were really helpful and explained how everything works.

I signed the contract with Sound Radio, and helped set up the bed and load the interview clips.
At exactly 6 o clock, I went live on Sound Radio with my first news bulletin.

I feel like for a first attempt it went very well, but I know that it needs to be improved. The feedback I have had so far is to focus on writing the script for the target audience.

I am currently being taught radio techniques to use while reading the news, which I hope will improve the show, and make it sound more like a professional news bulletin.

No comments:

Post a Comment